Don’t just join the Republican Party. INFLUENCE it.
What Is A Precinct Committeeman/woman (PC)?
Arizona law defines a party’s neighborhood leaders as Precinct Committeemen, who are elected by voters and have a duty to help their fellow Republicans vote.
The state of Arizona is divided into 30 Legislative Districts. The Legislative District (LD) is the basic political operating unit. Each LD is represented by one State Senator and two State Representatives. These positions are directly elected. Each registered political party has a committee in each LD, made up of precinct committeemen, also directly elected, who get out the vote for their candidates and represent their neighbors within the party. Republican precinct committeemen are the grassroots of the Republican party.
What is a precinct committeeman?
The office of precinct committeeman is defined in Arizona Revised Statutes (ARS) Section 16, Chapter 5, Article 2. The precinct committeeman is an elected official with responsibilities prescribed by the State and by his political party. Every recognized political party in Arizona has precinct committeemen.
Precinct committeemen are the members of each legislative district party committee. In addition to fulfilling their responsibilities, they vote on the leadership of their county and state committees.
- Voting, in person or by proxy, at each and every district and county party election when qualified to do so. This allows you to elect who leads our legislative districts and county party.
- Assisting the Republican Party in voter registration.
- Assisting and encouraging Republican voters to vote on election days.
- Attending District and County meetings.
- Working within the precinct from which elected.
- Creating enthusiasm and support for the Republican Party.
- Help to elect Republican candidates.
- Foster loyalty to the Republican Party and promote its ideals.
How much TIME WILL it take?
Becoming a PC is not difficult; if you’re a registered member of a political party, then you are eligible to be a PC. In practical terms, the level of your participation depends on you. Some PCs are near-full-time political junkies; some are political consultants, campaign personnel or lobbyists. Some are retirees; some are working professionals with families. If you have even a few hours a month and want to get to know your party’s candidates and elected officials — if you want to influence elections — this is a position to consider.
How do I start?
PCs are elected in August of even-numbered years (2020). So now is the perfect time to become an elected Precinct Committeeman. You can become an elected PC THIS year.